This era has seen a rise in the issues related to Beauty and Health. This rise in the ailments is due to improper and insufficient self-care. These disorders can be easily treated. It is possible because of the advancement in medical science. But if a disorder or a health-related issue is neglected it can cause many other issues. This can be very well explained with the help of the issue related to the self-beauty. It varies from the dental issues, skin issues to the issues related to hair. These disorders or issues can even cause mental illness or psychological issues. Seborrheic Dermatitis is one such skin disorder among the bunch of issues related to dermal health.
What is Seborrheic Dermatitis?
The fact commonly known to almost all of you reading this is, the skin is the most exposed organ of the body. The beauty of a person is being judged with the color and health of the skin. In such a case, none of us would love to have skin defects. There are various disorders which can cause damage to your skin health. If you find your skin with the patches of red acne or bulgy area, or if you flare up often, or if your hairs have stubborn dandruff then you might have a condition called as Seborrheic dermatitis. People generally know it by another name seborrhea. It is to be noted that every acne, dandruff or red patch on your skin is not seborrhea. If your skin shows some of the symptoms mentioned here, you need to scrutinize your skin before concluding it to be seborrhea.
Let’s have a look at what Seborrheic Dermatitis is and what are its causes?
Commonly Seborrheic (pronunciation: Sey- bow- rick) Dermatitis or seborrhea is related to dermal health affecting different parts of your skin, including the scalp. It can worsen other conditions and cause various complicated health issues if unattended. The cause of Seborrheic Dermatitis is associated with the release of sebum. Some common effects include scaly patches, pink to red skin, itchy skin scaling of the skin and stubborn dandruff. These effects are not observed on the complete body at once but affect the part of the body where the sebum secretion is high. Very commonly affected areas are the regions of the hair growth such as eyebrows, mustaches, beard, under the nose, underarms, scalp and in females under the breast.
Further explaining briefly what the sebum is and what are its common characteristics? We find it as the oily or waxy secretion from the inner layers of the skin. The chemical structure of this fluid secreted by your skin is a complex mixture of lipids. The beneficial effect of its release is it helps in the lubrication and waterproofing of the external skin. During the normal conditions, the release is in controlled and very efficient in quantity. But in the disorder condition such as Seborrheic dermatitis or seborrhea, excessive flow of oily and waxy fluid (sebum) is observed. This excessive secretion of sebum can be due to various reasons like fungal attack, climatic change, age or physical factors. If we look at the major symptoms of Seborrheic dermatitis due to the overflow of sebum, we find stubborn dandruff on the scalp, patches of pink to red skin, greasy skin covered with flakes of white or yellow coloured scales or crust and scabies with excessive itching. Picture needed.
Risk factors associated with Seborrhea
It is commonly seen that a person with a particular disorder develops another one. Stress can be the reason for this development. Even though this is not the scientific explanation of multiple disorder in the body. But it is the probable reason that many scholars would refer. Taking a look at the conditions which can cause Seborrheic dermatitis or seborrhea or the changes in the body due to seborrhea are
- Seborrhea is more often seen in a patient with neurological or psychiatric conditions. The conditions often seen in the seborrhea patients are Parkinson’s disease and depression.
- If we look at the cause of seborrhea, we find one of the cause as autoimmunity which is nothing but the patients with decreased or increased immunity.
- Some of the patients who have undergone organ transplant therapy can see the generation of the greasy, patchy skin of seborrhea. This effect can be observed on both recipients as well as the donor.
- the cause of Seborrhea can also be HIV or AIDS disorder.
- Seborrhea can also be caused in the patients suffering from alcoholic pancreatitis and in the cancer patients.
- It is also observed in the patients who have just recovered from the serious medical condition such as heart attack.
- When we dig deep into the causes of seborrhea, we may find that one of the underrated reason but a serious issue is prolonged self-medication. Often Seborrheic Dermatitis gets worse due to not getting medical attention from an expert. In addition to this, self-medication results in drug resistance and its side effects can be hazardous.
Diagnosis of Seborrheic Dermatitis
If we look at the diagnosis of seborrhea it can be by two types. One of it is being done by the physical observation of the skin and the second type includes the tests. The common observations on the skin include
- Inflammation in the affected area.
- Soft, oily, yellow scaling around the affected area.
- Itching or irritation the infected area.
- The skin would turn inflamed and scaly on the area infected.
- Dandruff on the scalp in the excessive amount and never-ending by any simple treatment processes.
- If the physical examination does not make any clear statement of the condition, we can further take some of the chemical tests for the confirmation.
- The infected area is scraped for the development of a culture which may or may not show the growth of fungus depending on the condition.
- If the symptoms are still unclear then the scraped layer can even be sent for the biopsy studies.
How to prevent seborrhea
If we look at the definition of prevention, it says it is the act of protection or hindrance. So, the preventive measures are not the step of the act to be taken up after the development of signs of any of the disorder. Instead, the preventional steps or measures should be our daily life routine. As these preventive measures are not only to protect from the development of hazardous condition from a simple disorder but also provides better health. The prevention does not ask you to stop enjoying your surroundings and the taste sensations but says to acquire the controlled quantity of every single thing. In a nutshell, it does not ask you to put a blanket ban on eating pizzas or burgers instead prevents you from hogging on to it. The preventive measures that can help to control Seborrhea in the early stage can are in the below paragraphs. These preventive measures should be taken on the observation of initial symptoms, and if the preventive measures do not help in decreasing the signs, you should visit a dermatologist.
Preventive measures include:
- Maintaining cleanliness of the body.
- Cleaning the infected area by OTC medical facewash and soaps.
- Do not use the hot water for bathing or cleaning the face.
- Use of creams and moisturizers to hydrate the part.
- Use of sunscreen or face mask to avoid direct exposure to the sun.
- Avoid polluted places.
- Avoid excessive oily content.
- Keep the skin hygienic.